What are the average costs of painting a home?
Interior paint jobs usually cost between $400 and $5,000.
Exterior paint jobs usually cost between $2,400-$8,700.
Now, to break down the cost of painting a house… Costs are based on the assumption that walls and ceiling are in “pretty good” condition and only need minor hole filling and caulking before painting. No large drywall/plaster patching, texture or sanding needed.
Before we begin, the two big questions that determine cost are:
- How many rooms are getting painted?
- What condition are the walls and trim in?
Hallways: $150 to $430
Extras: In addition to totals above
- Add $150-$265 for wallpaper removal per room.
- Add $65-$240 for lead-safe preparation per room .
- Add $50-100 per window sash or door.
- Add $75-200 for all trim/base/frames per room.
- Add $40-$60 per hour for additional painting or preparation needed by painting contractor.
*The typical exterior will need two top coats of a latex paint.
Three house features that will dramatically change the cost of painting your home’s exterior:
- Size and height: How large is your home? How high are the tallest features of your home?
- Siding material: What is the the siding made of? What condition is it in?
- Details: What features does your home have? Is it ornament? How many colors?
Size and height of house
Standard Prices for an exterior repaint (little prep, one or two top coats)
- One story ranch home: $2,000-$3,300 (800-1,600 sqft.)
- Two story/ two flat: $3,000-$5,800 (1,500-4,000 sqft.)
- Three story/ three flat: $5,000-$7,500 (3,600-6,000 sqft.)